Noble County Identity Theft Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Identity Theft Charges in Ohio
Identity theft is considered a serious crime that can result in severe penalties. If you are facing identity theft charges, it is important to have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side. At Cross Law Office, LLC, our Noble County identity theft lawyer understands the complexities of these cases and will work closely with you to develop the strongest possible defense strategy.
Call Cross Law Office, LLC today at (740) 997-2004 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our identity theft lawyer in Noble County.
What is Identity Theft?
Identity theft occurs when someone wrongfully obtains, possesses, or uses another person's personal information with the intent to commit fraud, deceit, or other criminal activities. Personal information includes Social Security numbers, driver's licenses, financial account numbers, and more. The offender typically uses this information for financial gain or to engage in fraudulent activities, causing significant harm to the victim.
Identity theft can take various forms, including:
- Financial Identity Theft
- Criminal Identity Theft
- Medical Identity Theft
- Identity Theft Affecting Government Benefits
- Child Identity Theft
What Are the Penalties for Identity Theft in Ohio?
In Ohio, identity theft is deemed a felony, and the penalties for a conviction can be very severe. The severity of the penalties depends on the case's specific circumstances, including the value of the property or services obtained through identity theft and the number of victims involved.
Potential penalties for identity theft in Ohio include:
- Fines: Convicted individuals may be required to pay substantial fines, depending on the value of the property or services involved.
- Imprisonment: Identity theft convictions can result in significant jail or prison sentences. The length of imprisonment varies based on the seriousness of the offense and any prior criminal history.
- Restitution: Convicts may be ordered to pay restitution to their victims, reimbursing them for any financial losses incurred due to the identity theft.
- Probation: In some cases, the court may impose probation in addition to other penalties, requiring the offender to meet specific conditions and adhere to strict guidelines.
Defenses Against Identity Theft Charges
Some common defenses against identity theft charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: If it can be demonstrated that the accused did not have the intent to commit fraud or deceit when obtaining or using personal information, this could be a valid defense.
- Mistaken Identity: Shows that the identity of the offender was mistaken and that they were not the person responsible for the alleged identity theft.
- Consent: If the victim provided consent for the use of their personal information, it may serve as a defense against identity theft charges.
- Duress: If the offender was forced or threatened into committing identity theft, this could be a valid defense.
- No Fraudulent Intent: Proving that the personal information was obtained or used without any fraudulent intent.
Contact Our Identity Theft Lawyer in Noble County Today
At Cross Law Office, LLC, our Noble County identity theft attorney is ready to provide you with the legal guidance and representation you need. We understand the complexities of identity theft cases in Ohio and are prepared to mount a strong defense on your behalf. Your future deserves skilled legal guidance, and we are here to provide it.
Contact Cross Law Office, LLC today to get started with our Noble County identity theft attorney.
"Amazing Experience"They contact you in a very timely manner taking care of whatever is needed from phone calls to any process of your need, taking care of you as known them, more than just a person on the other end of the phone.- Kelly M
"Not Guilty!"Very knowledgable Lawyer. Proud to say "Not Guilty", all charges.- Richard
"I truly consider him a friend for life."Mr. Cross was fair and reasonable in everyway and lead me to the eventual result I could have only dreamed of.- Steve
"If I ever need a lawyer again, he's the man I'm going to."He is very understanding and I feel like he always has my best interests in mind.- Joey
"Highly recommend!"I have reached out to Mr. Cross on two occasions for separate issues and he has been very good to work with.- Brad O.
"I would most definitely recommend them for any legal situation."Great amazing people that do everything they possibly can to help their clients out.- Joshua G.
"I was lucky to have him."Great receptionists and an extremely professional and well groomed lawyer!- Johnathan B.