Noble County Shoplifting Lawyer
Defending Clients Facing Shoplifting Charges in Ohio
At Cross Law Office, LLC, we specialize in defending individuals facing shoplifting charges in Noble County and throughout Ohio. Shoplifting is a common crime that can have serious consequences, and we are here to provide you with the legal guidance and representation you need during this challenging time. Our team of lawyers is well-versed in Ohio's shoplifting laws and will work tirelessly to protect your rights and help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Call Cross Law Office, LLC today at (740) 997-2004 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our shoplifting attorney in Noble County!
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting, or retail or petty theft, is stealing merchandise or property from a store or retail establishment without the owner's consent. It is a crime that can take various forms, including:
- Concealment: When someone hides an item intending to steal it later.
- Altering Price Tags: Changing or removing price tags to pay a lower price for an item.
- Switching Containers: Placing an item in a different container to pay less for it.
- Walking Out Without Payment: Leaving a store with merchandise without paying for it.
- Employee Theft: When an employee steals from their employer.
Shoplifting may seem minor, but it can have serious legal consequences, including fines, probation, and even imprisonment. Having a skilled attorney on your side is crucial to navigating the legal process effectively.
What are the Penalties for Shoplifting in Ohio?
In Ohio, the penalties for shoplifting can vary depending on the value of the stolen items and the circumstances surrounding the offense. It's essential to understand the potential consequences you may face if charged with shoplifting:
- Misdemeanor Theft: You may be charged with a misdemeanor theft offense for shoplifting involving items valued at less than $1,000. Penalties may include fines, probation, community service, and a permanent criminal record.
- Felony Theft: If the stolen items are valued at $1,000 or more, you could be charged with felony theft, which carries more severe penalties, including imprisonment.
- Juvenile Offenses: Minors charged with shoplifting may face penalties through the juvenile justice system, including counseling, probation, and community service.
- Civil Liability: In addition to criminal penalties, individuals accused of shoplifting may be liable for civil damages, including restitution to the store owner.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
Facing shoplifting charges can be daunting, but there are various defenses that our skilled attorneys can explore to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case:
- Lack of Intent: Individuals may unintentionally leave a store with unpaid merchandise. If there was no intent to steal, we can argue that a mistake or misunderstanding led to the shoplifting allegation.
- False Accusations: Shoplifting cases can involve misunderstandings or even false accusations. We will investigate the circumstances to prove your innocence and show that there was no criminal intent.
- Rights Violations: If law enforcement violated your rights during the arrest or investigation, we will work to exclude any illegally obtained evidence from your case.
- Mistaken Identity: We may demonstrate that you were not the person responsible for the alleged shoplifting.
- Value Disputes: In some instances, the value of the stolen items may be contested, which can impact the severity of the charges.
Contact Our Noble County Shoplifting Attorney Today
Shoplifting charges can seriously affect your life, from criminal penalties to damage your reputation. A dedicated and experienced attorney is crucial to protect your rights and fight for the best possible outcome. At Cross Law Office, LLC, we are committed to providing exceptional legal representation in Noble County and throughout Ohio.
Contact Cross Law Office, LLC today to schedule a consultation with our shoplifting lawyer in Noble County!
"Amazing Experience"They contact you in a very timely manner taking care of whatever is needed from phone calls to any process of your need, taking care of you as known them, more than just a person on the other end of the phone.- Kelly M
"Not Guilty!"Very knowledgable Lawyer. Proud to say "Not Guilty", all charges.- Richard
"I truly consider him a friend for life."Mr. Cross was fair and reasonable in everyway and lead me to the eventual result I could have only dreamed of.- Steve
"If I ever need a lawyer again, he's the man I'm going to."He is very understanding and I feel like he always has my best interests in mind.- Joey
"Highly recommend!"I have reached out to Mr. Cross on two occasions for separate issues and he has been very good to work with.- Brad O.
"I would most definitely recommend them for any legal situation."Great amazing people that do everything they possibly can to help their clients out.- Joshua G.
"I was lucky to have him."Great receptionists and an extremely professional and well groomed lawyer!- Johnathan B.